Below is a sampling of resources that provide more information about cultural competence. Included are organizations, articles, publications, and links to news. This list is certainly not exhaustive; if there are resources not listed, please email us and we will gladly include them.
- Cultural and Linguistic Competence Policy Assessment (CLCPA)
- Cultural and Linguistic Competence Health Practitioner Assessment
- AIDS Education and Training Center Program National Coordinating Resource Center Cultural Competency Organizational Self-Assessment (OSA) Question Bank
- Indicators of Cultural Competence in Health Care Delivery Organizations: An Organizational Cultural Competence Assessment Profile
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Quality Improvement and Interventions
- Complementary and Alternative Medical Therapy Use Among Chinese and Vietnamese Americans: Prevalence, Associated Factors, and Effects of Patient–Clinician Communication
From the American Journal of Public Health. April 2006; 96(4)
- Institute of Medicine, the National Academies, "In the Nation's Compelling Interest: Ensuring Diversity in the Health Care Workforce"
This publication includes information on current practices and future strategies to create a more diverse health care workforce.
- Structural Interventions to Reduce and Eliminate Health Disparities
- Strategies To Empower Communities To Reduce Health Disparities From HEALTH AFFAIRS, VOL. 35, NO. 8, August 2016
Online Learning Modules
- Culturally Diverse Communities and Palliative and End-of-Life Care - The American Psychological Association
- Diversity Rx: Improving Health Care for a Diverse World
This site uses videos, case studies, real stories from providers, and challenge questions.
- Think Cultural Health
This website features information, continuing education opportunities, resources, and more for health and health care professionals to learn about culturally and linguistically appropriate services. Think Cultural Health is sponsored by the Office of Minority Health.
- The Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
ODPHP sets national public health objectives and supporting programs, services, and education activities that improve the health of all Americans.
- The Office of Minority Health
OMH is dedicated to improving the health of racial and ethnic minority populations through the development of health policies and programs that will help eliminate health disparities.
- The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
HRSA is an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. HRSA is the primary Federal agency for improving access to health care services for people who are uninsured, isolated, or medically vulnerable. HRSA website offers a wealth of cultural competence resources pertaining to culture-specific disease, disease-specific, ethnicity-specific topics, as well as training tools and curricular resources.
- The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies
The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C. that creates ideas to improve the socioeconomic status and civic engagement of African Americans.
Online Resources, Reports and Publications
Diversity Health Institute Clearing House
This site provides information on cultural competence issues in multicultural health.
Healthy People 2030: Building a healthier future for all
This is an initiative of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
- Improving LGBT Access to Health Care at New York City Health & Hospital Corporation Facilities
- Jamarda Resources Inc.
JAMARDA's mission is to promote competency related to diversity and cultural care in healthcare organizations.
- HRSA - Culture, Language and Health Literacy
- The Rehabilitation Provider's Guide to Cultures of the Foreign-Born
These monographs focus on the top ten countries of origin of the foreign-born population in the United States, according to the U.S. Census Bureau: Mexico, China, Philippines, India, Vietnam, Dominican Republic, Korea, El Salvador, Jamaica, and Cuba.
- Transgender Patient Services and Support - HRC Foundation
- Unrecognized Influences of Sexual Orientation: Heterogeneity of Health Disparities Among African American, Hispanic, and Asian American Women
- Underrepresented Minority Dental School Enrollment: Continued Vigilance Required