Below is a sampling of resources that provide more information about cultural competence. Included are organizations, articles, publications, and links to news. This list is certainly not exhaustive; if there are resources not listed, please email us and we will gladly include them.
- Cultural and Linguistic Competence Policy Assessment (CLCPA)
- Cultural Competence Health Practitioner Assessment
- Cultural Competency Organizational Self-Assessment (OSA) Question Bank
- Indicators of Cultural Competence in Health Care Delivery Organizations: An Organizational Cultural Competence Assessment Profile
- Provider’s Guide to Quality & Culture
- Template: Recruitment of Individuals from Underrepresented Racial Minorities and Ethnic Groups
- Tools for Health Project
The Washington State Coalition for Language Access provides resources for patients (in any state) to inform both healthcare consumers and providers information regarding the use of interpreter services in healthcare settings. The Tools for Health Project includes Know Your Rights flyers and Ispeak cards to identify the language spoken by patients.
- Addressing Disparities Through Quality Improvement in Medicaid Managed Care
- American Medical News, Cultural Competence in American Medical News
This site contains a list of the publication's cultural competence articles and editorials.
To access, please type "cultural competence" into search engine.
- Complementary and Alternative Medical Therapy Use Among Chinese and Vietnamese Americans:
Prevalence, Associated Factors, and Effects of Patient–Clinician Communication
From the American Journal of Public Health. April 2006; 96(4)
- Institute of Medicine, the National Academies, "In the Nation's Compelling Interest: Ensuring Diversity in the Health Care Workforce"
This publication includes information on current practices and future strategies to create a more diverse health care workforce.
- Structural Interventions to Reduce and Eliminate Health Disparities
Online Learning Modules
- Culturally Diverse Communities and End-of-Life Care
The American Psychological Association
- Reducing Health Disparities in Asian Americans and Pacific Islander Populations
From the Provider's Guide to Quality and Culture; uses videos, case studies, real stories from providers, and challenge questions.
- Think Cultural Health: Bridging the Health Care Gap through Cultural Competency Continuing Education Programs.
Earn 9 free CME credits while exploring engaging cases and learning about cultural competency in health care.
- The Office of Minority Health - The mission: OMH is dedicated to improving the health of racial and ethnic minority populations through the development of health policies and programs that will help eliminate health disparities.
- The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is the primary Federal agency for improving access to health care services for people who are uninsured, isolated or medically vulnerable. HRSA website offers a wealth of cultural competence resources pertaining to culture specific, disease disease specific, ethnicity specific topics, as well as training tools and curricular resources.
- Community-based Approaches to Reducing Health Disparities
The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies hosts a forum on community-based approaches and policy opportunities for reducing disparities within the African-American and Latino communities.
Online Resources, Reports and Publications
Diversity Health Institute Clearing House
Information on cultural competence issues in multicultural health.
- Improving LGBT Access to Health Care at New York City Health & Hospital Corporation Facilities
- Jamarda Resources Inc.
- HRSA - Culture, Language and Health Literacy
- The Rehabilitation Provider's Guide to Cultures of the Foreign-Born
The monographs focus on the top ten countries of origin of the foreign-born population in the United States, according to the U.S. Census Bureau: Mexico, China, Philippines, India, Vietnam, Dominican Republic, Korea, El Salvador, Jamaica, and Cuba.
- Transgender Patient Services and Support - HRC Foundation
- Unrecognized Influences of Sexual Orientation: Heterogeneity of Health Disparities Among African American, Hispanic, and Asian American Women
- Underrepresented Minority Dental School Enrollment: Continued Vigilance Required